Skip to main content

The Thrice As Nice With Rice Series (Part 1): How Now Yang Chow


A Chinese meal without fried rice is just about as unthinkable as french fries without ketchup - you'll live through the experience, but there's something just wrong. One of my biggest frustrations about Chinese lauriats is that fried rice is served as the penultimate course, if at all (I am not Chinese, so kindly forgive this philistine); it would have gone sooo well with everything else that came before it. But anyway.

Of all the variations of Chinese fried rice, Yang Chow (as popularly spelled in the Philippines, but elsewhere known as Yeung Chow, Yangzhou Chow, Yung Chow) is my go-to favorite. And because it is so easy to come by in these parts, I never really quite bother making it, partly because of the required day-old rice (cooked rice runs out very quickly in my household), and mainly because a 24-hour Kowloon House is conveniently on the way home/delivers in less than half an hour (best deal ever of PhP32 for a half order which feeds two + a short order of lechon kawali with a soy-vinegar-onion dipping sauce to die for).

However, whenever I'm in the Western hemisphere where half a ricecooker-ful of kanin lasts a couple of days and I can't be bothered to move more than 10 feet away from my Bridezilla marathon, Yang Chow fried rice is the perfect one dish wonder (especially in Honolulu where several cans of Spam are always in stock). The one thing though that I hadn't figured out until recently was how to get the rice to be the perfectly hued Chinese-restaurant-yellow...the secret being an ingredient not quite Chinese at all!

My recipe here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abra Home Cooking: Dinaldalem and Kinamatisan

Monday, a Firm "eating" with my partners, Japanese-til-you're-stuffed. Tuesday, Burgoo appetizers with clients, a Japanese-Filipino fusion late lunch/early dinner, loads of pizza and pansit palabok by the poolside near midnight. Wednesday, Chinese take-out for lunch, and a Chinese home-cooked dinner with the Board. Thursday, modern Filipino at Mesa. Today, Friday, yet another Firm lunch at Zong. There really can be too much of a good thing. It's times like these when I long for my grandmother's home cooking; for the fond and familiar comforts of my childhood - the real simple stuff that only my Lola can seem to whip up. Unfortunately, my grandmother's kitchen is almost 500 kilometers away at the moment, and I have to rely on memory and trial-and-error to approximate her cooking. After an unsuccessful call for assistance to my cousin (grandma was probably still asleep) and a little research on the net, I made a quick trip to Farmer's for some liver

Fish Be With You 2 - Tagalog istek (isdang steak)

Anything beef can do, fish can do better. Well, not really. But this is a fishy alternative to Tagalog bistek , and prepared in almost exactly the same manner. Marinate some blue marlin steaks in soy sauce, kalamansi , and freshly ground pepper. Slice up some onion rings, fry in oil and set aside. Heat up some butter in the same pan, introduce the fish steaks sans the marinade, and cook until done. Remove the steaks from the fire, and return the marinade into the pan, cooking until slightly thickened. Pour the resulting sauce over the fish, and top with the onion rings. Move over bistek, istek has arrived.